FORTH (est.1983) is the largest research centre in Greece with facilities, highly qualified personnel and a reputation as a top-level research foundation worldwide. It focuses on interdisciplinary research and innovation activities in Microelectronics, Lasers, Photonics, Materials Science, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Robotics, Telecommunications, Applied and Computational Mathematics, Chemical Engineering and Humanities. FORTH is the only research organization that participates in all 4 of the flagship projects in Precision Medicine (Oncology, Cardiology, Neurodegenerative diseases (coordinator) and COVID-19). The Institutes and administrative Units that participate are:
- FORTH-ICS: With an excellent track record in conducting research, developing applications, products and services it plays a leading role internationally in the broader area of ICTs. It has developed specialized eHealth applications and services, which initially operated in the region of Crete as a pilot, and since 1998 deployed and operating in many healthcare organizations throughout Greece
- IMBB-FORTH: one of the most prominent life science research institutions in Greece, with an outstanding record of scientific achievements, state of the art infrastructure and a broad range of research and educational activities.
- The Institute of Biomedical Research, located in Ioannina, is focusing on high-quality scientific research and developing applications, products and services in Multi-scale Predictive modelling, Automated Diagnosis – Processing of Biomedical Signals/Images, Development of Wearable Devices, Decision Support Systems and Bioinformatics
- ICE-HT-FORTH: located in Patras, conducts research in chemical engineering sciences. It has been active in metabolic network activity analysis, with emphasis on the development and application of methodologies for metabolomics and metabolic flux analysis (fluxomics). It participates in the Expert Centre for Metabolomics, a consortium of European metabolomics laboratories in biomedical applications. It has undertaken the Technical Coordination of the ELIXIR-GR Node since Sep. 2020 and coordinates the computational metabolomics and protein interactions pilot study
- IESL-FORTH: With long experience in biophotonics and biomedical imaging research, pioneering contributions to laser technology, spectroscopy and spectral imaging, non-linear microscopy and in vivo preclinical and clinical optical imaging
- IACM-FORTH: Has vast experience related to HPC, multi-scale simulations, Statistical and Machine Learning-based Predictive Models, and synergistic approaches with data analytics
- PRAXI Network is an administrative unit of FORTH, created in 1991 by FORTH and SEV-Hellenic Federation of Enterprises. It offers added value innovation support services to over 300 SMEs per year, related to technology transfer, innovation management benchmarking, IPR management and access to national and EU funding.
- STEP-C (est.1993) providing incubation facilities and services to start-ups (over 60 since 2005) with new and emerging technologies.